Monday, November 03, 2008

PACE Race 5K

That extra hour we gained yesterday was lost on me as I was still up nice and early to head to Kirkland for another run. It appeared like it was going to be bad as it rained all the way there. Rochelle and I got there with plenty of time to spare and picked up our race packet-and a yummy mini Wink cupcake. We got back in the car and sat and discussed the rain and how much it was going to suck...lol. This ended up being a much smaller race than most we've done, which was a nice change of pace in a way. We wondered if it was attributed to the weather. Thankfully though, by the time race time rolled around, the rain had pretty much let up and it was just wet ground-with lots of leaves all over the place.

The race started at the marina and on a small uphill and took us through downtown Kirkland-which I'd really like to go back down there(besides for the 12Ks of Christmas in Dec) as they had lots of nice little shops and places to eat. After we got out of downtown, we went through residential areas-it was deceiving as there was no obvious uphil, it was just a gentle upslope for a loooong time. Overall, not too bad though as it was very subtle, I'd rather run that I think than a dramatic hill. And of course, what goes up, must come down so we did turn and it was flatter again for quite a while with a few small downslopes. I got hot partway through the race but managed to keep a steady slow pace while I took my hoodie off-managed not to fall on my face while I did it, which is a good thing. We eventually ended up back in part of downtown and turned back to the marina on a small downhill to the finish line. I ran the whole thing, no walk breaks and had my best time on a 5K yet! Still room for improvement of course, but I'm down almost 9 minutes from my first 5K last summer.


Here's me after the race down by the water where the ducks were.

No comments: