Wednesday, January 01, 2014

2014 is here...and how to make carne asada

Starting off the new year with goals.  I don't term them resolutions, nor do I only make them on Jan 1st. I am ever changing in the things I want to do, and work towards, and for me, I like to have a start point...whether it be the Jan 1st, a new month, or a Monday at the start of the week.  One of things I need to do is get back on track with cooking.  We let other stuff get in the way and don't menu plan and cook like we have in the past.

Started out 2014 with one of our favorites...carne asada, as learned from my Mexican sister from another mister, Juanita.  As Juanita informed us, the way real Mexican's eat it is with onions and cilantro, so that's what we usually do.  I've also taken to making myself burrito bowls ala Chipotle, which is also super yummy.

Carne Asada

Ingredients:
skirt steak
garlic salt
pepper

Yes, that's it...sometimes less is more. Don't ask me if you can sub garlic powder, I don't know, I've never used it. Juanita(ok, her Bill) said garlic salt, so that's what we use.

Dice the skirt steak up into small pieces(Nikki, no worries, I had Bill cut it all up)

The only other ingredients you'll need

Place a small amount of meat in the bottom of a wok(you can use a regular skillet, but found the wok works better to keep all together-again, that's how Bill and Juanita did it), sprinkle with garlic salt and pepper, over med-high heat.

Stir meat in wok, and sprinkle with garlic salt and pepper 2-3 times

Continue stirring and seasoning

Once it's done, use a strainer spoon or tongs to remove the meat so you don't take the fat(like in the above picture) with it.  Repeat with remaining meat in small batches.

Cooked carne asada

Up next is the Mexican Rice.  I found this recipe on a website though I can't remember which one, I think it was All Recipes.

Mexican Rice

Ingredients:
oil
1 cup rice
cumin
salt
diced onion
1/2 cup tomato sauce
2 cups chicken broth

In pot/skillet add oil and rice and brown till rice is translucent. While browning, sprinkle with cumin and salt.

Add diced onion and saute till softened.


Add chicken broth and tomato sauce.

bring to a boil, and then cover and reduce heat, simmer on low for 20-25 mins.


fluff with fork or stir with spoon when done

Proper serving...tortillas, refried beans, carne asada, onions and cilantro

Alternate serving style...burrito bowl...rice, black beans, carne asada, onions and guacamole

 I tend to make larger batches of things because we do leftovers for lunch quite frequently, or are having friends over.  The pictures here are 3 skirt steaks, and a triple batch of rice.





No comments: