We get there find the race area and then look for a place to park. Find a place-about a mile up a big ass hill. Ah well, what else can you do? We trek down the hill to get race packet and shirt. Head back up to drop stuff at the car and pick up ipods and all that good stuff. We met up with another of my running buddy's friends who lives down in Seattle. Make our way back down the hill(again). Get in line for the porta potties which moved pretty slowly. Then we head over to where the mats are to wait. Only to discover about 5 minutes before the race that we're at the finish line area, not the start. So we head over to the start, get in line at the 10-12 minute pace area. It's crowded as usual-lots of people in costume. I decided I'd be upset if the guy in full Chewbacca costume-fur and mask and all beat me. Lots of funny costumes, as well as some I couldn't imagine running in-like Belle from Beauty and the Beast in her full yellow gown.
Finally the race pack started to move...only to come to a screeching halt about 25 yds later. It was like a cruel tease...all the people ready to go and oh wait never mind, hold on a minute. Finally it starts for real a few minutes later. The announcer had said the course was flat and fast, except for a small undulation around mile 2. He lies. The beginning was pretty flat and fast, but that hill felt like it was climbing forever, and just as it leveled out, it turned a curve and climbed some more. My left hamstring and butt cheek did not like it one bit. So I took it easy and did a nice steady walk through most of the hill. Finally it started to head back down and I was up and running again. Managed to run the rest of the race ok, but it was hotter than I expected. I had on a long sleeve Nike top like the type I normally run in and then a Halloween tshirt over it to be somewhat festive. I don't know if it was the extra shirt, or what, but it was hot. By the time I crossed the line at just under 35 minutes(not my best, but nothing too bad considering the hill that kicked my ass), I just wanted water. Oh, that was the other downside-no water stops. I wish I would have known as I'd have taken one of my carriers with me. Met up with my friends and began the trek back up Mt Everest to the car. Oh man, were my legs screaming by the time I got back up there. Oh, and apparently Wookies can haul ass cause I never saw him after the start line. I'm not too broken up about it.
Here are me and Rochelle(my running buddy):


And me, Rochelle and her friend Jenna:
2 comments:
Dawn,Congrats!!! And I'll bet you PASSED that wookie,and he's still there,unfinished.WTG,you can be proud of finishing :o){{{{{{{Dawn}}}}}}}}}}
WTG Baby!!! You have a bit of your old man in ya for sure. The humor is great!!I have a camel back hydration system if you'd like it. Don't have much call for it anymore. I'll put a new mouthpiece and send it if ya think it would help.
Love,
Daddy
Post a Comment