Tuesday, March 24, 2009

I hate running

I really do. It hurts, it's tiring, it's even worse when the weather is shitty. Yet, I keep going out there. Rochelle and I say over and over that we must have some sort of defect to do that to ourselves.


Here is proof of why I don't like to run:

This is SNOW for the St Pats Dash...it was a horrible miserable run. Thankfully, it quit snowing by the time the race started, instead, it just rained the ENTIRE way. The best part of that race was the pancakes afterwards at IHOP!



And yet more verification...

Me, about 4 miles into a what seemed like the never ending Smelt Run 10K in LaConner-we weren't sure there was ever going to really be a turn around!! This is my happy face!!!


And still more...


Rochelle and I after the horrid St Pat's Dash...we are oh so thrilled. That race was filled with much lamenting from us about how much we hated running. Rochelle also told me how much she didn't like me(refer to my Sole Sisters blog for how she got into running hahaha-at least I'm dragging someone down with me). We were SOAKED. Traffic was horrible getting there(who knew 15,000 would show up??) so no time to hit the portapotties so the almost 4 mile run bounced and jostled our bladders. We debated the possibility of and just peeing our pants since we were already soaked...lol. FTR, we did NOT do that.


It's the first 3-4 miles are the worst.
Here is Rochelle giving the thumbs down on the 5K mark of the Nookachamps 10K-if we'd signed up for the 5K we'd have been DONE. But nooooo, we're gluttons for punishment and do 10Ks and Half Marathons. Like I said, the first 3-4 miles suck the worst. Once we get past that hurdle though, into our groove(beware the groove, don't throw off the groove!!), it's much easier going. I think it's because running really is a drug that we're addicted to. Like any other drug, you constantly need more and more to get your 'high'; and running is no different! Once upon a time, we were thrilled and exhilarated by hitting the 3 mile mark. Now, that's a short run to us and we regularly do 5 milers. It hasn't ended because we have the Whidbey Island Half Marathon this week and have our sites set down the road on a FULL MARATHON. Like I said, we're defective.
I ran across something someone said on the Ragnar Relay board on Facebook(yet more proof about our defect...Ragnar is a 12 person relay that we're doing in July...from Blaine to Langley...187 miles!!) and I think it is fitting sometimes...
I truly don't love running but I love that I run
I love the feeling afterwards. I love the sense of accomplishment when I finish a race, or a particularly grueling run. I love the bonds it has created. But some days, I don't love the run itself.

2 comments:

Hope said...

Hey Moose :) I gave you an award on my blog. Go check it out.

The CRAZY Runner said...

as a fellow runner I feel your pain. I will be running my first FULL at Disney in January, so that should be fun.

I think New Balance is completely correct when it says running is a Love/HATE relationship!!

Enjoy your runs in the opposite corner of the country!